July 25 – Hope of Salvation

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July 25 – Hope of Salvation

But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. (1 Thessalonians 5:8)

Carol calls me a cave-dweller because I have a tendency to prefer working at night.  When I am writing and reading, I like to have a few focused lights on around me while the rest of my local is dimly lit.  Part of that might have something to do with growing up in the 70s and constantly hearing my father remind us to turn off lights during the energy crisis.  In fact, I suspect that affects me more than I even realize.  Another part of it is that if my workspace is brightly lit, but the rest of the place is dim, I will ignore that which I can’t see.  I tend to be easily distracted and find a million reasons to cease what I’m doing and clean some perceived mess up.  So, if I can’t see it well, I’ll ignore it and continue to work.

The Bible is filled with encouragement to rise early in the morning to pray and study.  All of which I have done my best to ignore over the years. I mean … really?  Yes, it makes sense for those who need to begin their workday at some unearthly hour to rise even earlier so as to spend time with God, but if I get up that early, it just means there will need to be a nap before I can get started on the rest of my day.

I like spending time with God and with my thoughts late into the evening.  But that doesn’t mean I belong to the night.  The darkness doesn’t frighten me because of the light that stays with me even when the sunshine has passed to the other side of the world and all that remains in the sky are stars and the moon.

He is the light of my world and my hope is in the salvation that He offers me.  Jesus Christ is surrounded by glorious light – brighter than any sun.  When we live in the New Jerusalem, He will bring all the light that is needed to His world – the sun and moon will no longer be needed.  Hope in salvation by Jesus Christ.  That does bring light to my darkness.

0 comments: