May 4 - Love Jesus? Love God.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4 – Love Jesus? Love God.

Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word. You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is from God hears the words of God. The reason you do not hear them is that you are not from God.” (John 8:42-47)

One of the biggest difficulties many of us face as Christians is in understanding how Jesus could have possibly been so intolerant of other faiths by stating clearly that no one would come to the Father except through Him.

In this passage, He speaks along the same theme by saying: “If God were your Father, you would love me,” clearly implying that the two are inextricably linked together.  He goes on to say that others are from the devil.

This is such a touchy subject and one that I dread taking on because of the way that it separates the world rather than drawing all people together. And much as I prefer that everyone be on the same page … Jesus really doesn’t allow that type of wishy-washy behavior. 

If you want to love God … Jesus is a part of that package, whether you like it or not – whether you want to believe it or not.  If you don’t want to like it or believe it – that’s up to you, but that isn’t going to get you any closer to God and eternal life with Him.  Jesus doesn’t leave much wiggle room.

He asks His accusers if they have any sins that they can convict Him of … no?  Have they heard Him speak lies … no?  Then it follows that He is telling the truth and this is truth that we can’t escape.  He and the Father are one.  His words come from the Father.  He brings the truth of God to earth.

Our choice is whether or not we choose to believe.  And then, if we choose to believe – what will we do with that?

0 comments: