May 27 - The Perfect Place

Sunday, May 29, 2011

May 27 – The Perfect Place

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” (John 14:1-4)

How many rooms do you need?

Mom told us of a home that she lived in as a child in upper New York state.  It was an immense home with 21 rooms (not including kitchen, utility rooms or bathrooms).  I could not imagine something that large.  Most homes we lived in had a living room, dining room, office (maybe), family room (maybe), and three or four bedrooms.  That was plenty.

I think of the dormitories I lived in throughout college – nearly all of the rooms were created for more than one person to occupy.  I was thrilled when I got a single room.  The number of rooms that were available at the University of Iowa was mind-boggling, but they weren’t permanent living spaces and they weren’t created and prepared for me.

Every time we moved into a new home, the first thing I would do (once I was given leave to spend time in my space) was adapt my room to my taste.  I would hang my things on the walls, put up my bookshelves and fill them with my books, get everything put into my desk and my dresser, fill the closet with my clothes, make my bed and arrange things to my satisfaction.  It wasn’t prepared for me, but I made the best of what I had.

Jesus promises that eternity will offer a place for each of us prepared exactly for us.  This place that Jesus is preparing for us will be perfectly tailored to each of us.  It’s unimaginable, but it’s true.  The thing of it is … this perfect place is all about us being with Jesus. 

He knows me better than I know myself.  He knows my needs and my desires.  He knows my passion and my fears. He knows exactly what I will need as I enter eternity.  He has prepared that place and He will be in it with me.

0 comments: