May 13 - Believe What I Do.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 13 – Believe What I Do.

The Jews answered, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.” Jesus answered, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are gods’? If those to whom the word of God came were called ‘gods’—and the scripture cannot be annulled— can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands.

He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there. Many came to him, and they were saying, “John performed no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.” And many believed in him there. (John 10:33-42)


I always hated that saying, “Do what I say, not what I do.”  It never felt honest.

In this passage, though … Jesus says, “If you don’t believe me, believe what I’m doing.”

His miracles were done to point people toward God.  They weren’t done to make people think that Jesus was some magician or to bring Him fame or money.  They were representative of the love that God has for humanity.

Everything that Jesus did was to point people toward His Father.  Everything He said was to teach people about the great love that God has for us and to bring them into a relationship with God.

There will always be people who harden their hearts toward Jesus Christ.  There will be those who accuse Him of being a liar, or a lunatic.  There will be those who try to dismiss Him as simply a good man or another of the prophets of God. 

He asks people to look beyond words to the things that He is doing.  The fruit of His work. 

Our words may fall on deaf ears when we spend time talking about Jesus to others.  They don’t want to just hear pretty words coming from us.  The moment that we put our words into action, they will pay attention.

The world wants to see what we do – not what we say.

0 comments: