December 26 - Faithful Witness

Sunday, December 26, 2010

December 26 – Faithful Witness

For the last few days of the month, I want to look at some of the images of Jesus taken from the Revelation.  The first description is found in Revelation 1:5 where Jesus is described as “the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.”

The word ‘martyr’ is a Greek word that as a noun translates as ‘witness,’ as a verb translates as ‘to witness’ or ‘to testify.’  Early martyrs were those who testified to the power of Jesus Christ in their lives and then, because of that, lost their lives.

Jesus’ ministry on earth was all about being a witness to us about God.  He says so over and over. 

John 8:27, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know who I am and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for always do what pleases him.”

John 8:38, “I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

John 8:54, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing.  My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word.”

All through the Gospels, we find Jesus testifying to the work of God.  The purpose of this was to bring us to God. 

John 12:49-50. “For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life.  So whatever I say I is just what the Father has told me to say.”

John 14:16-17, “Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather it is the Father, living in me who is doing his work.  Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.”

Jesus’ testimony … His witness to the Father’s power within Him was evidenced in His words and in the miracles that the people saw.

Jesus Christ is the faithful witness.

0 comments: