December 14 - Comforter

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14 – Comforter (John 14:1-3)

I have a lot of favorites in scripture.  I can’t help it! These words do bring a comfort that I can’t explain:

“Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”  (John 14:1-3)

In many cases, a bridegroom in first century Israel would build rooms onto the family home.  When they were completed, he would go find his betrothed and bring her there where the wedding ceremony and celebration would take place.  These homes were filled with great big extended families.

The imagery of the God as the bridegroom and Israel as His bride fills the Old Testament and in the New Testament, we constantly find Jesus calling His church the bride and Himself the bridegroom.

He is going to heaven to prepare those rooms for us … His bride. 

Those words from Revelation tell us that this promise will be fulfilled.

“Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.  Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.  Then the angel said to me, ‘Write: ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!’’” (Rev. 9:7-9)

The day will come when those rooms will be finished; Jesus will return and take us there to live with Him.  The wedding of the Lamb and of his bride.

0 comments: