October 25 - Be Still

Monday, October 25, 2010

One of the things I've found while spending time at the cabin is my increasing desire for silence when I study and read and write.  I remember being quite proud of myself in high school when I could watch television and work on homework at the same time.  I always did well on my work, so I was confident that the multi-tasking involved was simply training my brain to accept a great deal of random information all at the same time.  


That was fine for then ... and I don't believe that my brain has gotten any less agile (hush - don't pop my bubble), but I do believe that it is more important to me now to be able to build the information into my brain in such a way that it will be there forever.  Most of the stuff I learned in high school is long since gone. 


I can do some things while watching a television show, but I've also discovered that when I'm listening to music, it has to be a top priority in my mind.  I can't set music aside and do other things that require concentration because my mind insists that the songs I'm hearing are a priority - no matter what style, no matter what song.  Consequently I don't listen to music as much as I'd like because I get way too involved in it and can't get studying done.


Last week, I woke early one morning at the cabin.  The only electrical things that really run up there are the refrigerator and my computer.  Both were quiet at the moment.  I heard silence!  There was nothing going past me on the road, the world was still.  Silence.  I simply reveled in the moment.  

October 11, 2008 - Psalm 46: 1-11

This Psalm has a very familiar verse in it - Psalm 46:10. But, I encourage you to learn the rest of the Psalm - it's beautiful.

You will find the word 'alamoth' in this inscription. While my Bible tosses it aside as 'probably a musical term,' it is generally believed to mean 'sung by virgins' or young girls. I find all sorts of interesting information in these inscriptions!

This Psalm, while the foundation for many hymns and songs of praise was also the inspiration for Martin Luther's "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."

Because of the incredible amount of time I put into studying the book of Revelation, I can't help but notice the similarity between this Psalm and the destruction found in John's vision.

This Psalm probably follows the death of Sennacherib's army (2 Kings 19:35) during the reign of Hezekiah (the entire story is also found in Isaiah 37).

As you read the words of this Psalm, I'd like you to absorb the wildness of the scene that the Psalmist is seeing. The battering of war gives him images of earthquakes and mountains falling into the sea. The waters rise with wild waves, the mountains seem as if they are moving and quaking.

He stops to show us that all of these things are occuring around the dwelling - the tabernacle of God in the holy city - Jerusalem.

Then, he returns to the sight before him (Psalm 46:6). In Psalm 46:8-9, we see more of this extraordinary battle. The Lord has brought desolation to the earth, we see shattered battle weapons and fire.

Before you move on, try to picture this incredible battlefield. The sounds, the smells of fire and death, nothing is alive before you.

And then, we come to verse 10. "Be still and know that I am God."

In the midst of all of that chaos, God calls - no, he whispers those words, "Be still and know that I am God."

I'm certain that you don't need me to translate this into your daily lives. We all have chaos that occurs around us moment by moment. But within the Holy City ... within the temple of yourself, God's dwelling place, He has erected a fortress ... a refuge. He will be exalted.

Be still and know that I am God.

0 comments: