October 16 - God's Love ... It's Why I'm Here

Saturday, October 16, 2010

There have been many times in the last few weeks that I need to remember exactly WHY I'm doing what I'm doing right now.  I get frustrated with professors, I am frustrated with the idea that this seminary is trying to form my belief structure rather than teach me.  The amount of busy, stupid work is annoying and sometimes I get through an entire week without feeling as if I did anything that moves me toward a future goal. Every once in awhile I get a moment of excitement, but it doesn't happen often enough.  You might pray for me - I think I need it and I would really appreciate it!


But, I go back through my posts for this blog and I re-discover exactly why I am passionate about God's Word and why I am putting up with a load of garbage to glean bit of treasure.  It's because it is all about God.  I need to be reminded of this on a regular basis these days.


I rediscovered this post tonight - and it helped me remember.

November 30, 2009 - God's Love

One of the greatest mysteries to me is that the God of the Universe, the God of all Creation, loves me. The kind of love that He brings to the relationship with mankind as a whole and each of us individually is beyond anything that I can comprehend. From the moment He created man, He loved us.

Jeremiah says "The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: 'I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving kindness.'" (Jeremiah 31:3)

Throughout all of history, we find God working to bring His people into a close relationship with Him. We fought against it, we continue to fight against it - through deliberate means, through apathy ... over and over, we miss out on the one loving relationship that will never fail us.

When God saw that it was time, He sent Jesus - God's Word - to earth so that every single person would have the chance to spend eternity with Him. He doesn't want to miss out on that relationship with any of us!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

This continues to be the single, greatest gift we could be given.

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved." (Ephesians 2:4-5)

God's grace, mercy and great love for us enables us to be saved from ourselves - from the mistakes we make (whether in error or deliberately).

I love this last verse - what a great use of the word "lavish." God loves us more than we can ever absorb.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1)

0 comments: