October 19 - Tell the World!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I have a couple of young friends that are in Afghanistan right now and are learning the mission field there.  I thought about this post from last September and how important it is that we spread the Gospel to everyone.  I'm not crazy about the idea of traveling to the far corners of the world.  That's just not anything God has ever placed on my heart.  However, if He told me tomorrow that was in the plans for my future, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a question ... I would just go.

God wants us to tell the world about Him.  What else can we do?  We can hide and ignore Him, but in the end that only brings us pain and distress.  There are millions and millions of people that need to hear about His love.  Some live in Tibet, some live in Afghanistan, some live in Africa and some live across the street or next door.  They work with us and sit beside us at concerts or football games.

September 27, 2009 - The Gospel is Universal

I have a couple of friends that chose to leave their lives in the United States and live in Tibet as missionaries. They live very simple lives among the people in the Tibetan mountains, always being very careful of their interactions so that their lives show Jesus Christ as much as their words. And they have to be careful of their words because of the oppressiveness of the government. When they send emails home, they have to speak of 'Father' instead of God.

But God promises that His Word will be preached throughout the world.

Matthew 24:14, "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

When I asked my friends why they had chosen to go to Tibet, they reminded me of that verse. You see, they want to be a part of the movement towards the end of the world. They look so forward to the Lord returning that they want to do all that they can to ensure the Gospel is preached to the ends of the earth.

Mark 13:10, "And the gospel must first be preached to all nations."

This was the last thing Jesus commanded us to do. I've talked in the past about my fears that God would ask me to become a missionary to Africa. However, I figured that He could just use me in the United States ... that's a nation, right?

Matthew 28:19, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Mark 16:15, "He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.'"

But, before Jesus returns to heaven, he says to the disciples in Acts 1:8, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

So, if God had actually called me to go to Africa, I should have set aside my fears because He wouldn't have asked me to go alone. He promised that the power of the Holy Spirit would be with me. I tend to forget that - a lot!

The last verse that talks about this is found in Revelation 14:6. What an amazing image this is!

"Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth - to every nation, tribe, language and people."

Even at the end, the Good News - the Gospel of Jesus Christ is going to be proclaimed to everyone on earth. God never quits trying to draw His creation back to Himself.

0 comments: