June 8 - Colossians 2:16-17

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 8 - Colossians 2:16-17

“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Well, I guess for all the Sunday morning golfers among us, this verse is a relief!  No one is to judge us based on our attendance at religious festivals or even a Sabbath day.

Paul continues to whittle away at the Judaizers who insisted that early Christians follow their rules so as to be deemed good enough to enter heaven.

This morning I was at the Post Office buying stamps.  As I stepped out into the opening lobby to place the stamps on my mail, a man walked past me to his post office box and he suddenly stopped, looked at me and said something.  It was so unexpected that I took me a moment to register that not only was he speaking to me but that I needed to concentrate on the words that had just come from his mouth. 

In that split second, I put the words together into a sentence and realized that he had said, “Has anyone told you that Jesus loves you today?”  I’m sure my lack of immediate response shook him and then I said, “You know what?  He loves you, too.”  He smiled and moved on.

Now this occurred not long after I had written yesterday’s blog and I’d been thinking all morning about the incredible depth of Jesus’ love for us.  It transcends all earthly thought and action.  We can’t begin to fathom its depth or imagine its extent.  Yet we do everything possible to control people’s access to it.

I’m thankful for a Savior that is my reality.  He is more than the judgment of people around me, He is more than religious rituals and traditions, He is more than anything I can imagine.  I will never be able to understand or comprehend His grace and His love for me, but I will always find Him at the center of my reality.

0 comments: