June 3 - Colossians 2:6-7

Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3 - Colossians 2:6-7

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”


We are such children sometimes.  Paul would really like us to acknowledge the power of Jesus Christ in our lives and grow up!

Our lives in Christ began as we acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior.  All that was required of us is that we continue to live in Him … allowing Him to sink roots deep down within us, build up His power within us and then to strengthen our faith.  From this thankfulness should simply flow out of us.

Doesn’t sound that difficult, does it?  But, for some reason it is nearly impossible!  We flounder around trying to do all of the work ourselves – we feel guilty if we don’t feel that our strength is enough, we compare ourselves to others and their Christian walk, feeling prideful if we think we’re better and horrid if we think we’re worse. 

We live in the world – filling our minds with the rules and expectations that everyone around us lays out for us.  We don’t actually live in Christ and expect that He will take care of all of that.

We work so hard at creating the façade of the perfect Christian life that it is difficult for us to actually live in Christ.  I live in my home and constantly am in a battle to keep it clean, to keep it from deteriorating around me.  Things have to be replaced because they fall apart, chaos will reign unless I keep working to maintain any sense of order (just so you know – chaos generally does reign in my home).  Since I live in my home, I have to take care of it. 

I believe that this is the way that we feel about a relationship with Christ.  If I live in Christ – I have to constantly take care of this relationship, ensuring that deterioration doesn’t occur, that the Law of Entropy doesn’t take over.  But, Christ isn’t like my home.  He is a Creator … He is THE Creator.  The Law of Entropy will never exist when He is near … chaos can’t reign, deterioration will not occur.  He takes care of all of that. 

I suspect He has to work extra hard in my life because I intentionally try to take care of all of that.  It’s my job, it’s what I do.  I manage things around me.  I must make Him crazy as He tries to remind me that He’s got it. I can relax and rest in the knowledge that He loves me – the only thing I really have to do is remember that and live like I live in Christ and He lives in me.

…and be thankful – very thankful.

0 comments: