June 12 - Colossians 3:3-4

Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 12 - Colossians 3:3-4

“For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.”

At the moment of our salvation, the moment we chose to accept Jesus as our Savior, we died to sin.  Now that is an easy to concept to grasp, though maybe not such an easy thing to do. 

The next phrase “and your life is now hidden with Christ in God” may not be quite so easy to understand. 

When I was young, my father taught me to walk on the inside of the sidewalk.  As the man, he was to walk on the outside as my protector.  If a car splashed mud and water, he took the brunt of it instead of me.  Whenever we would walk together, he automatically moved to the outside of the sidewalk and taught me to move inside.  I always knew that when I was with Dad, I was safe – he would protect me from whatever came at us.  By Dad putting himself between me and danger, he hid me from that danger.

I think about the number of times I tucked my small dachshund inside my coat to keep her warm when we go places.  When thunderstorms rip through, she wants to crawl inside my skin so that I protect her from whatever is making those terrible sounds.  As soon as she gets close to me and I tuck her under my arm or under the blankets close to my body, she relaxes and can sleep.  I hide her from the danger that surrounds her.

Jesus does the same thing for us at the moment we release our lives to Him.  We may have quite different definitions of danger and things that go bump in the night, but He is there to protect us.  Consider the thunderstorm that Leica is so afraid of.  I know that it won’t harm her other than the fear she goes through as it passes.  But, she has no idea whether or not she will live or die during those loud claps of thunder.  In the same way, Jesus knows the outcome of everything we face.  He doesn’t try to get us to understand what it is we are facing, all He does is hold on to us so that we will stop shivering.

0 comments: