May 18 - Philippians 4:17-19

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18 – Philippians 4:17-19

“Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”


This is another reason that reading Paul’s letters brings me pleasure.  He screws it up, realizes it and tries to fix it.  Rather than re-write the previous part where he talks about the Philippians caring for him monetarily, he works it over a little in the letter:  “Not that I am looking for a gift.”

That is exactly what I would end up doing – generally in a conversation rather than in the written word, though.  I know how to use the backspace on my computer and do so quite often.  I’ve been known to shred perfectly good letters to pieces because I screwed something up while writing in pen.  But, Paul just kept going.

It wasn’t about Paul’s needs.  The financial support that the Philippians had so generously extended to him was welcome and he was grateful, but more than that, Paul new that their generosity was a reflection on their heart.  They had been abundant in sharing with him.  He had received more than he needed.  These people couldn’t stop giving.  Their hearts and their pockets were all lined up on the same page.

Paul knew that the generosity of spirit living in the Philippian church was extraordinary.  He referred to it as a fragrant offering.  In Leviticus, the fragrant offering was one that pleased God.  In Ephesians 5:2 the fragrant offering was Christ offering himself.  This is what he wanted the Philippians to understand.  The generosity of their spirits was something that pleased God, something that was akin to the offering of Christ.  This was something extraordinary and found in very few churches.

Paul assured them that their needs would be met.  The pleasure that they brought to God through their generosity would in turn be reflected in their relationship with God.  Their needs would be met by the one whom they gave glory to through this generosity.

0 comments: