May 1 - Philippians 2:19-24

Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1 - Philippians 2:19-24

“I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.”

Philippians 1:1 seems to imply that Timothy is a co-author of this letter with Paul, but by Phil. 1:3, we’re pretty certain Paul is writing this letter by himself.  Timothy’s role is explained quite well in these few verses.  He will take this letter to the Philippians and ensure that they are able to understand all that Paul is saying and intends with his words.  If there are questions from the people in Philippi, Timothy will be able to explain Paul’s intent.

Paul is still unsure of his status as a prisoner.  It is obvious that he doesn’t know whether or not he will be released or executed or if he will simply remain imprisoned.

I think of all the things that I wish God would make clear to me regarding my future.  I get frustrated because I can’t seem to ‘get a sign’ regarding His plans for my life.  I like to have everything organized, on the calendar and in some stage of preparation.  When I can’t do that, I get frustrated and sometimes a little belligerent!  As I read this letter, I sense a little of Paul’s frustration at not knowing what is going to happen, but he continues to write knowing that God is in control and will guide his life in the way that will bring the most glory.  That seems like a better way to live than my way.

Do you know of anyone who is not self-seeking, but sets the interests of Jesus Christ first?  I’d love to say that I know these people, but I don’t think I do.  Of all of the people that Paul knows and all that he is close to, the only person that sticks out for Paul is Timothy.  Paul says that ‘everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.’  How disappointing that has to be for him.

Timothy has proven himself over and over and Paul is as proud of him as any father would be of a son.  This young man was set apart, treasured because of his commitment to Jesus Christ and to Paul’s ministry.  Paul trusts that when he sends Timothy to the Philippians he will do everything just as Paul asks and everything will be done for the glory of God.  

Then Paul repeats his words of hope that he will be freed to come and spend time again among the people of this church, but if not, his words in Phil. 2:19 tell us that he knows when Timothy returns to him with news of the church, he will be cheered.

0 comments: