May 10 - Philippians 3:17-19

Monday, May 10, 2010

May 10 – Philippians 3:17-19

“Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.”

Paul knew better than to ask the Philippians to imitate him in every form of his life – he’d already admitted to the fact that he wasn’t yet perfect.  There was one thing that Paul would want everyone to imitate him in, though … his relentless pursuit of Christ. 

Sometimes I get really excited about my relationship with Jesus.  I can write and read and pray and study and do everything that revolves around Him.  But, before I know it, I’m distracted by the world.  Sometimes my relationship with Jesus actually gets way too intense and I become exhausted.  Other times I feel like I’m working way too hard at it and recognize that I’m not allowing Him to be the king of my life, so I back off and try to find my way again with Him in control.

Would I call myself relentless in my pursuit of Him?  No, not at all.  I fail miserably.  With every different reason and distraction that is possible.

Paul looks at those who live as enemies of Christ through tears.  Those who live selfishly, trying to set distractions in front of Christians who are doing their best to get through life while maintaining their focus on the cross.  Paul didn’t want to lose anyone to the opposition and his great passion for bringing the world to Christ was seen in the huge number of miles he traveled throughout his life.  But, the Judaizers – those who sought to bring Christians back to the Law – were out there conniving and conspiring to stop people from believing in the simple things of God.  They offered truth in flesh … a truth that was appealing because it makes so much sense to us as humans.

They encourage us to think only of ourselves (gluttony – thinking only of filling their stomachs).  Then, they take praise for actions onto themselves, rather than giving glory to God.  Finally, they believed that caring for things of this earth would allow them to gain merit with God. 

We work so hard to make up the rules that will bring us into favor with God.  He’s not asking us to follow rules and regulations – He wants us to believe and have faith that He alone is our Savior.

0 comments: