April 3 - Rider on the White Horse (pt. 2)

Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3 – Rider on the White Horse (pt. 2)
Revelation 19:13-15

"He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter.’ He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.”

He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood. This is reminiscent of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross.

His name is the Word of God. I love this. The Word of God created the heavens and earth. Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh. In Hebrew thought, a word is not simply a sound, but it is active, it brings our intention to life. Jesus is the word spoken by our Creator!

The armies of heaven were following him. This army was about to go into battle against the enemy. There is no armor on either the horses or the riders. They aren’t carrying weapons of any kind. The Lamb will wage this war by himself, they are simply in attendance.

I tell a story about my grandmother over and over. She was a pacifist to her very marrow. We didn’t speak of war, even when speaking of war against evil. One afternoon as she was cleaning her kitchen, she asked me to play the organ in her living room. I loved doing that for her. I opened the hymnal and began playing hymns. At one point, she came out and stopped me. “Diane, I’m sorry, but we don’t play those songs in this house.” I was playing ‘Onward, Christian Soldiers.’ I stopped and moved on. I tried discussing it with her, but she cut me off and let me know in no uncertain terms that she wouldn’t budge in her beliefs. She had her standards and war wasn’t going to be a part of them!

Until I read this passage, I thought she was a little goofy about this one thing. But, now I see what she was saying. As Christians, we feel that we have to take up weaponry and actively fight against the enemy. But, this battle isn’t about us! We aren’t the heroes. There are no weapons given to the heavenly army. They are simply there to support the Lamb.

Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword. The Word of God will strike down the nations.

He will rule them with an iron scepter. He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. Jesus Christ returns to earth to finish the judgment of the nations. The overcomer in Revelation 2:27 is given the power to rule with this same iron scepter. The promise of ruling with Christ will hold true.

0 comments: