April 12 - The New Jerusalem (pt. 3)

Monday, April 12, 2010

April 12 – The New Jerusalem (pt. 3)
Revelation 21:7-8

“He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

As overcomers, we will receive an inheritance.

Ephesians 1:13b-14, “Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of His glory.”

Right now we are marked with a seal – the Holy Spirit.  Read that again.  Right now.  Today.  You have been marked with a seal – the Holy Spirit.  This is a deposit that guarantees your inheritance.  God will redeem all of us whom He possesses.  He will gather everyone to Himself. Our time on earth is a chance to build the relationship with God before we get there, but we have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and are sealed by the Holy Spirit so that when the day comes and the New Jerusalem and New Earth come into being, we are part of the inheritance of God’s great treasure.

This is the last promise to the overcomer:  I will be his God and he will be my son.

In Genesis 17:7-8, God is establishing His covenant with Abraham and his descendants.  God says to Abraham, “I will be your God and the God of your descendants after you.”

The promise is fulfilled.

In Exodus 6:7, God says “I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.”

The promise is fulfilled.

In Jeremiah 7:23 we read this commandment to God’s people, “Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well for you.”

The promise is fulfilled.

Zechariah 8:8, “I will bring them back to live in Jerusalem; they will be my people, and I will be faithful and righteous to them as their God.”

The promise is fulfilled.

In Revelation 21:8 we find a list of all those who will face God’s punishment: cowardly, unbelieving, vile, murderers, sexually immoral, magicians, idolaters, liars. 

We’ve all faced one or more of these sins in our lives.  To those that have overcome them through faith in Jesus is promised the inheritance and a chance to be part of God’s glory.  To those that prefer this life comes the second death, burning in the fiery lake.

0 comments: