April 11 - The New Jerusalem (pt. 2)

Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11 – The New Jerusalem (pt. 2)
Revelation 21:5-6

“He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.” 


From the throne we hear that all things are new.  We can barely comprehend this.  I think about a friend who received a new kidney.  Well, it was a used kidney, but for him, this was life changing and life giving!  I remember having a new home built for us.  Everything was fresh!  We actually cleaned our furniture and didn’t want to put anything down on the carpet that wasn’t clean.

Consider how having a new heaven and earth will impact us!  We will recognize it all, but rain won’t bring filth out of the sky. You will be able to walk to a river and drink from it. 

Before we get a chance to experience the newness of this place, we need to hear from God.  We hear the same words now that we heard in Revelation 1.  “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the end.”  From before creation through eternity, God simply is.

“To him who is thirsty.”

Alright, I just have to ask.  Do you really think God is that concerned about our parched mouths?  Well, I suppose He is, but let’s look at some of the spiritual implications of thirst.

Isaiah 55:1, “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters …”

Psalm 42:1-2, “As the deer pants of streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?”

Psalm 63:1, “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

Jesus promises relief in John 14:13-14, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

John 7:37-38.  “If a man is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”

The thirst that God quenches goes much deeper than a dry mouth.  Our entire beings soak up the living water that He offers to us.  Like dried up sponges, we are hard and brittle.  We’ve become useless.  As we allow God to pour Himself into us, we soften and even more absorbent, growing back into the tools that He can use.

0 comments: