July 16 - Psalm 127:1-2

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain. 
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain. 

In ancient Israel, wisdom said that ignoring God’s will came at humanity’s peril.  It was futile to do anything with God’s blessing.

We've become so much more intelligent than that.  We are certain that we can do whatever we like and our lives will continue along the same path with no additional blessing or curse.  Only the very superstitious or needy person believes that God’s blessing is necessary today.  Rational thinking assures us that we are in control of every step in our lives.

It has taken me forty-some years of life, many years of Bible study and more than three years of seminary to realize that I no longer need to argue that point with those who believe that God is unimportant.  Their minds are made up, my words won’t change them.

I've argued with my fair share of skeptics and it never ends well. I've learned to stop and allow them to have their own thoughts.

What I know is that my Creator gave me breath and set within me the power to know Him well.  Whether it is building a house, writing a book, speaking with a friend, loving an animal … my life is in his hands.  I don’t want my life to be in vain.

0 comments: