March 16 - 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

Saturday, March 16, 2013


March 16 - 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

Now concerning the times and the dates, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

The little church apparently had several questions they had posed to Paul, probably through a letter sent via Timothy.

Paul wasn't about to give them times and dates with regards to the Lord’s return.  In fact, Jesus used this same phrase in Acts 1:7 when telling the apostles that the Lord would do what He would in His own time.

If there is one thing I love, it is a calendar.  I am much more comfortable if I know exactly when something is happening and how long it will be occurring.  That way I can be prepared for the beginning, the middle and the end.  It is one of those little things in life that comforts me.

Now I fully recognize that this is one of my ‘control issue’ aspects and there are plenty of people who don’t care nearly as much as I do, so I try to allow the world to turn all on its own without my intervention.  That might last for a day, but not much longer.

If people around me don’t want to build structured times and dates, I make them up all on my own and then I do my best to abide by those deadlines and schedules I’ve set.  I’m not as bad as some and much worse than others when it comes to living like this.

Most of us need to know what is coming.  We have to be able to plan and to prepare.  We have so many different things going on in our lives that scheduling easily becomes a nightmare.  Paul tells the people of Thessalonica that they are to be prepared because the Lord will come as a thief in the night.

We just can’t be prepared for everything we do and then let it happen as it may, but we can be prepared for Jesus’ return. And then we can wait.

Jesus tells us that it is not for us to know the time or the date; Paul tells us to be prepared.

That’s one thing about being a Christian. You never know what’s coming next. You only know that God will be with you.  Be prepared.

0 comments: