December 28 - Messiah - Job 19:25-26; 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

Friday, December 28, 2012


December 28 - Messiah - Job 19:25-26; 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.
And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God. (Job 19: 25-26)

For now is Christ risen from the dead, the first fruits of them that sleep. Since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. (I Corinthians 15: 20-22)

From 1737 (Messiah was written in 1741) on, Handel suffered a series of strokes and then later in life, cataracts threatened his sight. He had several operations to restore his vision, but those left him completely blind.  Words written in his oratorio Samson reflect his sense of loss over this: “Total eclipse! No sun, no moon.  All dark amidst the blaze of noon. Oh glorious light, no cheery ray to glad my eyes with welcome day.”

The thing that makes being a Christian such an extraordinary experience is that we have a living Savior. Jesus Christ lives!

His sacrificial death on the cross was done so that we could all be free of sin and could have immediate access to God, but His resurrection assures us we have a Savior who has conquered death.

Paul tells us that Adam (and yes, Eve) brought death into the world by their refusal to obey God’s command.  But, Jesus’ complete willingness to obey God, by coming to earth as a man, living a life among humanity, then facing the abuse of his critics and going to the cross to die for our sins changed all of that. While we still face death here on earth, we too, can find eternal life in heaven.  The promise of this is a great gift!

Today, I hear the song in my head, “I know that My Redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.”

I know Jesus Christ lives and that when the time comes, He will reign on earth. All nations and kingdoms will come to acknowledge Him as Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

0 comments: