October 4 - Psalm 16

Thursday, October 4, 2012


October 4 - Psalm 16

Is it easy to accept that the Lord has assigned us our portion and cup, that what we have is what He wants us to have and that we should be content?  Absolutely not.  It’s much easier to complain and whine and wish for more.

The Psalmist, though, acknowledges that he has no good thing without the Lord and pursuing other gods in order to make a better life will not do him any good.  We want God to take care of us, but we aren't quite as ready to give our choices and decisions about our future to Him.  We like to have at least the perception of control, even if we don’t want to say it out loud.

For David, the reality of the Lord’s guidance in his life means that … the boundary lines have fallen for him in pleasant places and he has a delightful inheritance (Psalm 16:6).  He doesn't see his boundaries as limitations.  There is so much available to him within that space.  He doesn't see the inheritance he has received from God as too little, it is delightful and will give him all he needs.  These aren't just physical boundaries and a physical inheritance; these are the gifts and talents God has given to him.  They are enough to bring him great joy throughout his life.

Sometimes I get frustrated at what I consider to be my limitations.  I would have loved to have been a physicist.  Theoretical physics seems so amazing to me, but I didn't spend enough time with math and science when I was younger to be able to pull that off now.  Now, God didn't stop me from learning those things; I did.  However, even within the limitations that I designed for myself, He continually brings new, creative potential to my life.  He expands my sight and shows me that His boundaries are much bigger than anything I could imagine.

David tells us that he listens to the Lord; even at night when he sleeps, his heart teaches him.  He won’t be shaken because the Lord is always before him.   You know, the thing is … being obedient to the Lord never limits us.  Our boundaries are bigger than we can ever imagine because the Lord is the Creator of everything.  He is infinite and eternal.  The only boundaries He ever sets around us are those that will protect and keep us safe.  When we listen to Him, when we learn from Him … we are tapping into a constant source of creativity … there is no limit to what He can offer us.

In the end, we can afford to explore everything the Lord gives to us and shows us because He will be with us.

“You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand” (Psalm 16:11).

When you look at your life, do you see limitations or potential?  God sees potential.  The boundaries He has set around you are not to stop you, but are pleasant places.  The talent (inheritance) he has given you is delightful.  Focus on that and grow, then rejoice.

0 comments: