June 3 - 1 John 1:8-10. Sin

Sunday, June 3, 2012


June 3 - 1 John 1:8-10. Sin

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Believe it or not, I have spoken to many people who believe that they don’t actually sin.  They will admit to making mistakes, but won’t admit to sinning.  They believe their lives are good, they are doing the best they can with what they’ve been given and sin isn’t part of that.

It seems that John is speaking to people just like that.

When I was in high school, I decided the only way for me to ensure I had asked forgiveness for my sins was to sit quietly at night and reflect on my day, moment by moment.  Every time I recognized a sin I had committed, I wrote it down.  Let me tell you, for a high school girl who was pretty innocent, I had an immense list by the end of each day.  I was appalled! How could I call myself a Christian and still be committing that many sins … every day!  Some of them were so out of control, I ended up writing the same sins down day after day.  It didn’t take long for me to set that task aside; it was much too painful and I spent more time beating myself up than I did actually praying.

Though I don’t spend time writing down my sins each day so I can ensure I miss nothing when asking forgiveness, I will never claim to be sinless.

In our relationship with God, it isn’t so much about the specific sins we commit, it is about setting them before God and asking forgiveness.

The world tries to tell us that each sin is immense … bigger than that long list I created.  God says all sin is the same in his eyes. All he wants us to do is bring it before him and ask forgiveness.  He is faithful.

0 comments: