June 12 - 1 John 2:24-25. Beginnings

Tuesday, June 12, 2012


June 12 - 1 John 2:24-25. Beginnings

As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

When I was young and first fell in love with Jesus, I was a Jesus geek. I carried my Bible everywhere, I read it all the time; I wrote notes in it, love notes to God in the flyleaf, thoughts in the margins. I loved loving Jesus.

Then time passed and I got busy with life. College came and I was surrounded by a lot of people who didn’t love Jesus like I did. I got busy with them.  We moved away from the church where we had all fallen in love with Jesus together and into a church where they simply didn’t care whether he was part of their lives or not.

Life happened.  I never, ever lost my love for Jesus, but I certainly quit showing it to everyone and sometimes I wondered if it had ever been as real as I thought it had been.  Maybe all of those feelings were just part of adolescence and weren’t really going to be part of my adult life.

Revelation 2:4-5a says, “Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.”

It is never too late to fall head over heels in love with Jesus again. It is never too late to be a Jesus geek, to carry your Bible everywhere, to write notes in your Bible in bright and wild colors.

What you learned when you first met Jesus is still within you.  Remember that.  Do those things you did at the very beginning.

0 comments: