February 20. Reflection in the Mirror

Thursday, February 23, 2012


February 20. Reflection in the Mirror

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known (1 Corinthians 13:12).

I love to read mysteries – to watch a plot unfold, then when the great ‘reveal’ occurs, to see how the author took me along the road, offering hints and then tied them all together at the end.  I love to be surprised and I love to discover an author that uses everything to surprise me.

In studying this passage, I discover that I’m surprised by Paul.  I shouldn’t be.  He was an incredibly brilliant man and had an amazing command of the Hebrew scriptures, but I wouldn’t have assumed he would have grabbed this verse from the Old Testament.

You see, I find that the New Testament and especially the book of Revelation uses portions of the Old Testament as hints along the road to bring us to understanding the truths of God.

Then the LORD came down in a pillar of cloud, and stood at the entrance of the tent, and called Aaron and Miriam; and they both came forward. And he said, “Hear my words: When there are prophets among you, I the LORD make myself known to them in visions; I speak to them in dreams. 
Not so with my servant Moses; he is entrusted with all my house. With him I speak face to face—clearly, not in riddles; and he beholds the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?” And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them, and he departed.  (Numbers 12:5-9)

Did you see verse eight?  “With him I speak face to face – clearly, not in riddles; and he beholds the form of the Lord.”

In the days when the Lord traveled with the Israelites as a pillar of cloud or of fire, He also spoke to Moses face to face.  To their prophets, he spoke in visions and dreams, but to Moses, He presented Himself face to face. The Israelites already had the experience in their history.  Though none of them ever experienced it, they knew that one of their greatest leaders had actually seen the Lord.

As much as we think we would like to see the Lord face to face as Moses did and have all of our questions answered, the truth of the matter is that we aren’t ready for that.  It is enough to see the reflection of God in faces around us and it is enough to know only part of that which we will one day know fully.  While we still live in this life, that is enough.  God has provided all that we need and while it may seem to be quite limited, it is enough.

One day, though, there will be more.

0 comments: