June 7 - We Bring Peace

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 7 – We Bring Peace

“Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”

Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”

“Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:25-33)


One of the most difficult things to explain to someone who doesn’t know where their faith lies is the peace that is found in Jesus.

I have many friends who faced terrible, awful things – illnesses, death, loss – before knowing God.  Those periods of time were lonely, dark, terrible times for them.

On the flip side – they faced many of the same types of events after coming to know Jesus and describe a completely different response.  They were assured of the comfort that He offers.  No matter how tough it got, they were confident of not being alone.

I don’t know about you, but when I am close to someone who is facing dreadful situations and they don’t know Jesus well, all I can do is offer to be the comfort that He offers so that they can see a little bit of Jesus through me.  I see His hand reaching out to them, drawing them close to His heart … but all they can see is the pain of the trauma in front of them.  I am called to be His hands, the expression of His love when I am with them.

We may not understand the importance of our work on earth.  It isn’t always just about telling people about Jesus or witnessing to His work in our lives.  It isn’t always leaving the country on a mission trip or raising funds for those in need or doing great works on a fairly impersonal level. 

Sometimes it is about offering the peace that we know intimately, offering sanity in the midst of turmoil and love in the midst of loss, comfort in the midst of grief and joy in the midst of pain.  We bring Jesus to the world through our lives every day to remind those around us that they are not alone … the Father is always with each one of us.

0 comments: