February 7 - Judges 16:15

Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7 - Judges 16:15

Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when your heart is not with me? You have mocked me three times now and have not told me what makes your strength so great.”

You just gotta love a woman like Delilah.  She just gives us a bad name.  Sneaky, conniving, manipulating.  How could a man ever trust someone who would twist his love like she did?

She tossed intimacy in his face – if he didn’t trust her with the innermost secrets of his life, how could he honestly love her.

While we know the outcome of the story – she wasn’t worthy of his trust, the words themselves are important even at a very spiritual level.

I know that there is one person that I can trust with every intimate detail of my life – and that is God.  He knows all of my ugliness and pain, all of the terrible thoughts and the crazy behavior that I hold at bay.  Everything is laid bare before Him … every moment of the day.  I suppose that I could try harder to hide those things from Him, but I know better than that and I know that there is absolutely no one else I would trust with those things.

We all know that humanity is hurtful and that there really is no one we can trust implicitly.  Even those that we love more than anything and trust with nearly everything have hurt us in anger or frustration, even if it was unintentional. 

The Lord doesn’t react in ways that will hurt us – whether deliberately or not.  He won’t carry tales of our exploits to others so that we are exposed in ways that will damage us.  Everything that we turn over to Him is given to a God who is honorable.

In Jeremiah we read, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jer. 29:11)  This is the Lord who hears our deepest pains and knows our most tender feelings.  He takes all that He knows about us and puts it together to bring hope and a future.

Samson knew that his life was to have been given to God.  He knew whom to trust, but in the end, he gave up and trusted a woman who would not hold his life with honor.

God is worthy of our trust – He has never been found without honor.  If you think that you are hiding things from Him, think again.  He is already holding all of those things for you and does so without using them to wound you.  He loves you more than you can imagine.

0 comments: