January 6 - New Growth

Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6 – New Growth

“May my teaching drop like the rain, my speech condense like the dew; like gentle rain on grass, like showers on new growth, like abundant rain on tender plants.” (Deuteronomy 32:2)

These words come from the beginning of the Song of Moses in Deuteronomy, which he recited just after he finished writing out the law. 

The last couple of years have been glorious for me as I’ve been able to watch crops get planted, grow, mature and then be harvested.  The cycles are awesome.  But, the most beautiful sight is in the spring when the new plants are just rising above the black dirt.  That new growth is filled with promise.

Do you remember putting seeds into dirt as a child and waiting for them to grow?  I suspect we put our little seeds into Styrofoam cups every spring in Sunday school.  I checked those things out every single day until I saw that first burst of green show.  I would check the dirt to ensure that it wasn’t dry and if it was, I learned to carefully give them enough water to help it grow – not too much to drown.  Then I could hardly wait for them to be strong enough to replant in the ground. 

Our hearts sometimes feel like dried up dirt – there isn’t enough moisture available to allow fresh new growth.  I have to tell you that the older I get, the more cynical I become.  I’ve experienced enough life to question everything.  However, the one area of my life that I continually allow to bring fresh renewal is in my scripture study.  God easily moves beyond my cynicism to sprinkle showers on me so that there can always be fresh new growth.  I can’t imagine how joy-less my life would be without His Spirit filling me.

He pours out His blessings … abundantly … and those bring new growth … even in our driest lives.

0 comments: