January 28 - New Name

Friday, January 28, 2011

January 28 – New Name

“Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.  To everyone who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give a white stone, and on the white stone is written a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it.” (Rev. 2:17)

What is this name that is given?  The next time this is mentioned is in the next chapter – Revelation 3:12, “Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.”

A change in name generally means that there is a change in the character, conduct or the status of an individual.  In Isaiah 62:2 – the restored Israel is told “you shall be called by a new name.”  In John 1:42, Jesus says, “You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas.”  He gave him a new name.

When Jesus comes again to reign – everything will be changed.  Our names will identify us with Jesus Christ.  We will no longer be part of this world, but be wholly part of the new Jerusalem, with the name of God, with the name of Jesus Christ.  We will be His alone – and will have no need to associate with anything that is of this world today.

0 comments: