August 18 - Isaiah 63:1-6

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 18 – Isaiah 63:1-6

Who is this coming from Edom, from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson? Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, speaking in righteousness, mighty to save.”

Why are your garments red, like those of one treading the winepress?

“I have trodden the winepress alone; from the nations no one was with me. I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing.

For the day of vengeance was in my heart, and the year of my redemption has come. I looked, but there was no one to help, I was appalled that no one gave support; so my own arm worked salvation for me, and my own wrath sustained me. I trampled the nations in my anger; in my wrath I made them drunk and poured their blood on the ground.”


Revelation 14:17-20 tells of the harvest of the earth.  There is a grain harvest and a grape (wine) harvest.  Read these words:

“The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God’s wrath.  They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses’ bridles for a distance of 1600 stadia.” (Rev. 14:19-20)

Later we see that the Whore of Babylon drinks of the cup filled with the wine of the fury of his wrath (Rev. 16:19).

The Day of Vengeance, the Day of the Lord, the End of the World … that day is coming.  God will unleash His wrath, no longer tempering it with His mercy and grace.  All of history points to that day when He fulfills His promises of justice and metes out the punishment that He has spoken of since the beginning of time.

It is a nearly impossible sight for us to imagine.  We count on His forgiving grace.  We count on His redeeming grace.  We live our lives confident that He will accept us into His kingdom as adopted children.  Praise the Lord for that confidence.

But, what of those who don’t have that confidence.  Can we leave them to His wrath because we are too lazy to leave our comfortable lives?  Is it their fault that they don’t know Him?  Is it not up to us to witness to His glory in our lives?  There is still time.  We have much to do.  We can’t leave it up to everyone else.  We can’t sit in our polished pews and play with our friends.  We have to reach beyond ourselves.

0 comments: