January 17 - We're Almost There

Sunday, January 17, 2010

January 17 – We’re Almost There

We are leaving the cities behind where words make sense and symbolism is easily explained. From here on out, the words are open to many different styles of interpretation. Before we get there, I want to explain what my foundation for interpretation is and what you can expect from me.

There is an incredible amount of literature written about this single book in the Bible. The interpretations are varied and always changes. Over the centuries, the understanding of interpretation has changed until we are at a point where scholars have honed this to begin making sense of it all.

Fictional books have been written that tell an amazing story. But, this is only one style of interpretation. Academic scholars interpret this book in a completely different manner and tend to view the outcome in their own limited way. Nearly every book I have read (and there were scores of books that I plowed through) said the same thing at the outset: “The Book of Revelation has become mysterious to readers today, but it was never meant to be. It was meant to be read and understood and believed.”

Then, they would present their particular view of the book and by the time I was finished, I was more confused than ever.

Scholars use words like ‘eschatology’ and ‘chiliastic.’ You read about dispensationalism, preterism, historicism, amillenialism, premillenialism and postmillennialism. All of these words are important as you move into deep study of the Revelation.

But, one of the things about apocalyptic literature is that it doesn’t actually tell you how to believe – especially when it is read alongside other pieces of literature from the same genre. There is no easy way to eliminate confusion and come to a point of firm knowledge.

I believe that at the end, the most important thing to walk away with is the knowledge that God is in control, that Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for our sins and that heaven is an actual place where we will go to live with God for eternity. The rest, while wonderful, is not that important – not the interpretation, nor the timing of the events, not even the secondary characters.

This book was meant to bring comfort to a people who were being intensely persecuted and encourage them to continue in their faith. At the end, they would be in a glorious New Jerusalem, standing in the presence of God.

Do I believe that Jesus will return in a physical way to this earth to gather His people home? Of course I do. Do I believe that it will happen in the way that the popular “Left Behind” series tells the story? I’m not so sure. Do I believe that God has it in His control and will do whatever it is that He has planned? Absolutely.

I refuse to use a ball bat to beat you over the head with my beliefs and interpretations, but I will end up sharing specific viewpoints. You make your own decisions as to whether or not you agree with me.

One of the greatest pieces of advice I can give you is to become like the Bereans of Acts 17:11:

“Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”

Don’t take my word for it, don’t simply read one or two commentaries, or the helps in your Bible. Search the scriptures. Pray as you ask God to help you understand. Ask the Holy Spirit to be your guide.

0 comments: