December 15 - True Vine

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 15 – True Vine (John 15:1-16)

John is not yet finished with allowing us to see how Jesus compares Himself to something that is commonly known to the people in first century Israel. This time we look at the vine … maybe a grapevine.

The first thing that I want you to see is that Jesus doesn’t say that He is ‘like’ a vine and his Father is ‘like’ a gardener.  This isn’t just a figure of speech.  This relationship between the vine and the Gardener is exactly the description of discipleship that He wants the twelve to emulate.

We can not bear fruit by ourselves.  We are nothing unless we stay on the vine.  If God trims parts of us away, it is only to make us more fruitful.  But when we move off on our own, to pursue our own dreams and set our own goals, we are limited to our own successes.

“If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit;” (John 15:5b)  Much fruit!  This reminds me of the verse that I use to head my blog: "Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." (Mal. 3:10b)

We are so limited by the successes of the world around us that we believe that is our goal and those are the true definitions of achievement. 

Look forward to verse seven: “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you.” (John 15:7)

It is not about us and our success, it is not about us and our achievement.  Jesus very plainly states that in the next verse:  “This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:8)

Now … the second half of this passage is the kicker for me.  This is what life is all about, whether or not we are successful.  If we remain in Jesus … the fruit is love. 

“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”  (John 15:10-11)

Joy and love are intertwined with Jesus.  Not just a little bit, not just what we can see and feel and sense, not just what we can do by ourselves.  It is by remaining in Him, by staying attached to the vine, for that is where true life begins.  The nourishment of love that we receive by staying attached to the vine is incredible.

I have an image in my mind of a luscious, green, full-bodied vine growing.  It’s source is the River of Life found in the New Jerusalem.  It receives more nourishment than it needs and pours it through to the branches that are attached.  Some of these branches are thick and filled with leaves and other branches.  Others have been pruned back by the Gardener so that they can begin to grow again – stronger and healthier.  Then there are branches that have fallen off and are strewn along the path under the vine. These have shriveled to brown, ugly pieces.  Some are bigger than others, some look as if they are ready to turn to dust.

The thing about this Gardener is that He has the ability to graft those that have separated themselves from the true vine back so that they can grow again.  He can graft them to the main trunk or to any other branch.

Jesus is the vine that provides nourishment and stability.  We may think that we are pretty amazing all on our own, but it is only by being part of that vine that we find our true selves … and we find love and joy.

0 comments: