January 24 - Romans 7:14-20

Friday, January 24, 2014

Romans 7:14-20 - We Are Sinners

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

I can't imagine there is a single person on earth who hasn't felt this way on a regular basis. I know what I should do and yet, I don't do it. Whether it's speaking kindly to someone, following a budget or a diet, responding in love rather than anger, obeying traffic laws, being consistent in the way we raise our children … the list is too long to even contemplate. We have the desire to do what is good, but we cannot carry it out (Romans 7:18b).

Paul makes the comparison between our unspiritual lives and the Law, which is spiritual. The Law came from God and is an expression of his holiness. In contrast to God, all things fall short and we, because of our human nature, fall short all the time. The Law in its nobility … in its holiness and righteousness reminds us over and over of our own sin (Romans 7:16).

This is a cycle in which we live. Paul considers himself a slave to sin because of this cycle. The power of sin defeated him and defeats us over and over. He writes that "it is no longer I myself who do it (that which he doesn't want to do), but it is sin living in me" (Romans 7:17). He isn't trying to evade responsibility, but point out the depth at which sin has taken hold of each of us. We must come to understand that we are slaves to sin, no matter how much we want our lives to be righteous.

Goodness does not come from within us … our sinful nature is what resides in us (Romans 7:18a). This sentence might seem to say that our lives our fruitless, but Paul is setting up the argument and will conclude it in Romans 8. Goodness does not come from within us … it is not part of our nature. But, we will find out where it comes from and how we are continually being transformed … being sanctified … being made one with Christ Jesus.

0 comments: