November 14 – Hebrews 10:25. Encourage One Another.

Monday, November 14, 2011


November 14 – Hebrews 10:25. Encourage One Another.

Let us not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I have a couple of friends who are glad to tell me that they missed me in church on Sunday.  It never sounds like they really missed me – it actually sounds like they are chiding me for not being there.  I don’t actually feel encouraged, I feel like I’m in trouble. Is that how you approach people?

The author of Hebrews calls on us to be practical in our love for the Christian community in which we participate – whether it is local, regional or worldwide.

Several weeks ago, I was appalled at the lack of Christian response to a true call for help.  I was far enough away from the situation, there was nothing I could do practically, I could only watch in shock.

A young mom was completely at her wits’ end.  Two small children had been sick, she didn’t feel well, her husband wasn’t well.  She hadn’t been able to get groceries, she had a first birthday party to plan for and she felt like her house was a mess.  She posted this all on Facebook and it didn’t fail.  Every single person responded that they would pray for her.

What?  That wasn’t nearly enough.  Who was going to step out of their own world to offer to pick up groceries, help her clean for the party, watch a sick child while she worked?  Finally one woman my age told her she was bringing a meal the next night.  Whew!

What has happened to us that we offer to pray, but offer no practical help?  That’s like walking past a starving man, patting him on the head and offering to pray.  I understand that one or two people may not be able to do anything, due to other things going on … but the list of prayer offerings was enormous, with only one offering of help.

As part of a community, we have to do more than just pray for each other, if there is something more that is needed.  We have to actively participate in the community and build it up … encourage each other.  We have to!

0 comments: