July 2 - No Hope in Us

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 2 – No Hope in Us

The book of Job is all about hopelessness and hope.

Just after Satan begins testing Job, his friend Eliphaz says, “Should not your piety be your confidence and your blameless ways your hope?” (Job 4:6)

Just like Eliphaz, we spend much of our time hoping that our hard work and good character will be enough to get us through our lives. If

By chapter seven, Job feels hopeless and says, “My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle, and they come to an end without hope.” (Job 7:6)

As he continues working through it all, he says in Job 13:14-15, “Why do I put myself in jeopardy and take my life in my hands? Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.”

Throughout the story of Job, we watch him go back and forth between hope and hopelessness. When he seems to understand that God will take care of him, his friends remind him of how little he is.

It is when God finally speaks and reminds Job that only God is in control of everything, from birth to death, creation and life.  It is God that is omnipotent and omniscient.  It is God who own everything and cares for everything. 

It is in God that Job has hope – not in he, himself.  Job’s life, the life of everything around him is in God’s hands.  And in God’s hands is where hope for the future, for blessing and protection is found.

0 comments: