April 24 - Metaphors: Bread and Water

Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 24 – Metaphors: Bread and Water

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.” (John 6:35-40)


Metaphors just mess with us, don’t they?

Because we are going to physically get hungry and thirsty – even after we meet Jesus. 

But, He was the master of the parable – the metaphor.  Why do you suppose that is?

It might be because what He had to say was so different from anything that had been said before and would  be such incredibly different thoughts for most people hearing Him speak that He wanted them to think outside the box a little bit.

He could have shown up one day in Capernaum and said, “Look, I am the Son of the Great God Almighty, the Creator of Earth.  I was the one who was there with my Father in the beginning and I was there as we set creation into place and as we brought forth humanity. 

“Dad is really tired of the way you’ve been screwing up.  He sent the Law, the prophets … He did everything possible to bring you back to Him and you just flat out refuse.  So … here I am.

Last chance.  I’m showing you … God.  You know … Yahweh … whose name is so great you can’t speak it.  That’s me.  I Am.  Believe in me and we’ll finally get this figured out.  He doesn’t want you all to die – but you know how He is when He gets angry.  Justice has to be handed out and His merciful hand is all worn out.  So … will you believe?  Or am I going to have to die for you, too!”

He could have spelled it out in words that were much clearer – but, all that would have done was antagonize everyone.  Jesus was there to renew, re-create the relationship between humanity and His Father.  The best way to start any relationship is with a conversation.  And the best relationships that exist happen when those conversations go beyond a few simple words.

Jesus wanted people to think beyond the simplistic.  “I am the very foundation of all your needs – bread.  I am the bread of life. Just as your body can not exist without water … your life can not exist without me.  Your spirit, soul and life need never go thirsty if you believe in me.

I am here because my Father wants you to believe in Him because you see me.  He wants everyone to be with Him in eternity.

Metaphors may mess with us, but they make us see the world a little differently.

0 comments: