March 18 - Galatians 4:12-16

Friday, March 18, 2011

March 18 - Galatians 4:12-16

I plead with you, brothers and sisters, become like me, for I became like you. You did me no wrong. As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. Where, then, is your blessing of me now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?

This little bit of information gives us a lot of clarification of the depth of Paul’s feelings for the Galatians. The poor guy was SICK when he was with them. It upped his vulnerability and forced him to rely on them to nurse him back to health. These kind of stressful situations always create a connection between people that would not necessarily happen if he were there simply to preach and teach.

Paul’s time spent with the Galatians was difficult for him at the time. He was forced to set aside everything of himself and rely on others to take care of him. They did so with grace and love.

The intimacy of relationships that grew as people cared for him and supplied his needs would have been incredible. They truly exercised hospitality with Paul.

Now, however, when it is time for him to call them to task … they don’t want to hear from him. How painful that must have been for him. Those that he trusted when he was at his lowest want nothing to do with the teaching and admonition that he has for them.

0 comments: