July 5 - Isaiah 41:1-16

Monday, July 5, 2010

July 5 – Isaiah 41:1-16

“Be silent before me, you islands!  Let the nations renew their strength!  Let them come forward and speak; let us meet together at the place of judgment.  Who has stirred up one from the east, calling him in righteousness to his service? He hands nations over to him and subdues kings before him. He turns them to dust with his sword, to windblown chaff with his bow. He pursues them and moves on unscathed, by a path his feet have not traveled before. Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD—with the first of them and with the last—I am he.”

The islands have seen it and fear; the ends of the earth tremble. They approach and come forward; each helps the other and says to his brother, “Be strong!” The craftsman encourages the goldsmith, and he who smooths with the hammer spurs on him who strikes the anvil. He says of the welding, “It is good.” He nails down the idol so it will not topple.

“But you, O Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

“All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish. Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all. For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O little Israel, for I myself will help you,” declares the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. “See, I will make you into a threshing sledge, new and sharp, with many teeth. You will thresh the mountains and crush them, and reduce the hills to chaff. You will winnow them, the wind will pick them up, and a gale will blow them away. But you will rejoice in the LORD and glory in the Holy One of Israel.


God is calling everyone on earth together.  The islands here imply the furthest reaches of humanity.  Judgment will be coming and God wants to meet it face to face with everyone.  Then he reminds the listeners that He (God) is not only in control of all creation, but of history as well.  He will be in charge of the ruler who comes – the ruler may not be righteous, but he is doing God’s work.  This is likely prophesying the arrival (in 100 years) of Cyrus of Persia.

Islands and nations try to band together against this mighty conqueror, but to no avail.  All they can do is continue to turn to idols to save them.  This is no power against God.

But, Israel … Jacob, descendants of Abraham (and don’t you love that God continues to call Abraham friend!!!) are the ones called by God.  Because He chose this group of people as His servants, He will give them strength, He will be with them and His righteous right hand – the right hand of power will hold them up.

There is nothing that can stand against Israel when God is by their side.  Nothing!  Their enemies will be gone before they even see them, the ones who want to wage war against them will be beaten before the battle begins.  This is the Lord, our God who understands our fears and holds OUR right hand offering strength.

He reminds Israel that they are nothing without Him.  But, with Him in control, they will be made into a threshing sledge – one that has been sharpened.  With God, everything will bow down before them, even the mountains and hills.

All we have to do is reach out our hand to God and allow Him to take our right hand – the hand of power.  When we turn that over to God … and allow His power to guide us and strengthen us, we can do marvelous things!

0 comments: