March 23 - Deliverance

Monday, March 23, 2009

March 23 - Deliverance - Isaiah 27:1-13

Sometimes there is just so much information bursting out of these passages, I have an incredibly difficult time figuring out where to start. And then I can't figure out how to even put into words the feelings and sensations that wash over me as I process God's Word. This passage is causing me a lot of grief because of those issues. I'll do what I can ... whoosh!

The Leviathan was probably a crocodile. Most of the nations surrounding Israel worshiped many gods and many myths regarding the sea monster. Wiersbe says that satan was holding these nations hostage by their beliefs. It is no coincidence then, that the great sea monster of Revelation 13, the antichrist will be slain by the Lord in this passage. This is just the beginning of the release that He offers the world ... in that day. (Isaiah 27:1)

The Lord refers to Israel (Judah) as a fruitful vineyard. He fully intends for them to fill the world. The vineyard is used to describe three different groups of people in scripture. In Isaiah it refers to Judah, in John 15 it describes the relationship between Christ and the church and in Revelation 14:18, it is referring to 'earth's vine,' the godless Gentiles. (Isaiah 27:2-6)

We see the Lord's protective hand over Judah as Isaiah describes it in Isaiah 27:7, but he shows us how the Lord has removed the northern kingdom from the equation by warfare and Judah will be taken into exile (Isaiah 27:8).

There will be a day when Jacob's (northern Kingdom - Israel) guilt will be atoned for. All of the remnants of worship to idols and gods will be purged. No single human can achieve this removal of sin ... only God can. Only God can offer that kind of sacrifice. (Isaiah 27:9)

Knowing partial bits of information is difficult for me. When I can see that the information is out there and available, but I can't get my hands on it, I am miserable. My strengths lie in gathering information and then processing it and sharing it. I would have been a horrendous prophet, though I am always open to allowing God to use me. Isaiah saw all of this, but did not see the whole story of the Messiah, the beginning of the redemption of Israel and the world by Jesus Christ. How he must have yearned for the entire picture!

Isaiah 27:10-11 speaks of the desolation of Jerusalem because of Judah's sin. It is impossible to imagine that God would remove His mercy from this world. But, that day is coming. It won't be long ... but, He will come to a point where punishment outweighs mercy for those that continue to refuse Him. But, we have to get past that point so that we can get to the eternal city. Judah has to face her punishment ... the time has to come ... the day of the Lord.

And in that day, the Israelites will be gathered, one by one from wherever they were in exile to return to the holy mountain - Zion and worship in Jerusalem again. How will they know? Oh ... this part fills my heart.

A great trumpet will sound! Jesus speaks of it in Matthew 24:31, Paul tells of us this great trumpet in 1 Cor. 15:50-58 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 sounding to announce the return of the Lord to gather His church. Before I leave this today, read the words from Revelation 1:10, "On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet ..." The voice of Jesus will call out, a voice that we will be very familiar with when the day comes. Oh Lord, I pray ... Your Kingdom Come!

0 comments: